The beauty of your new and shiny stainless steel appliances can get dull after you touch them and leave fingerprints. It is the biggest issue faced by people all over the world.
But, how do you keep fingerprints off stainless steel? You can prevent fingerprints on stainless steel by making it smudge-proof or buying fingerprint-resistant steel appliances. Wax-based sprays and car waxes are also effective alternatives.
Now, let’s get into more detail and know how you can prevent fingerprints on stainless steel appliances.
Can You Make Stainless Steel Smudge-Proof?
Yes! You can make stainless steel smudge-proof with a few items already available at your home.
While some people often buy fingerprint-resistant stainless steel appliances, don’t worry if you didn’t buy one.
Many people make their appliances smudge-proof at home by following some simple techniques, which we have mentioned in the next section.
Smudge-proof stainless steel is a much better option as it can help keep fingerprints off the stainless steel. In this way, you don’t have to clean the appliance every time you touch it.
How Do You Keep Fingerprints Off Stainless Steel?
You can make your stainless steel appliances smudge-proof to keep off the fingerprints and the dirty look they leave.
We have two methods for keeping the fingerprints off. One requires the use of commercial sprays, while the other consists of using household items to keep off fingerprints from stainless steel.
Method 1: Using Vinegar and Oil
Things you need:
- Olive oil
- Microfiber cloth
Steps to follow:
- Spray some vinegar directly on the stainless steel appliance.
- You can also dip a clean cloth or cotton ball in vinegar and apply it to the appliance.
- Make sure you rub the cloth in the direction of the grain for the best results.
- The vinegar coating will dry in a minute or two. So, you don’t have to wipe it with a towel.
- Next, take a clean microfiber cloth and pour some olive oil on it.
- Here, you’ll buff in the direction of the grain as well.
- After applying a thin layer of olive oil to the appliance, it’s time to take another dry and clean microfiber cloth.
- You have to gently rub the cloth on the layer of olive oil to remove some of it. Remember that some of the olive oil will stay on the appliance, making it smudge-proof.
Method 2: Using A Wax-Based Spray
Wax-based sprays are specially designed to prevent fingerprints from showing on the stainless steel appliance.
Things you need:
- A wax-based spray
- Microfiber cloth
Steps to follow:
- Spray the wax-based spray on the stainless steel appliance.
- Don’t spray too much, as the surface may become greasy by doing so.
- You can also use a microfiber cloth to apply if the product is in the form of polish.
- Then, leave it for a minute or two.
- Next, take a clean and dry microfiber cloth to wipe the spray from the surface.
- Also, make sure you wipe in the direction of the grain.
- If you notice a layer of wax on the surface, don’t panic. This thin layer will make the appliance smudge-proof and prevent fingerprints from showing.
How To Get Fingerprints Off A Stainless Steel Refrigerator?
You can use the two methods mentioned above to remove and prevent fingerprints from stainless steel appliances.
However, we also have some other handy and inexpensive techniques to get fingerprints off a stainless steel refrigerator.
- Mix some dish soap or detergent in water. Then, dip a clean microfiber cloth and wipe the refrigerator door with it. Once clean, you can use another damp towel to wipe off the soap solution.
- Add baking soda to a cup of water to make a paste. Apply the paste on the fingerprints of the stainless steel using a soft brush or cloth. Then, leave it for 20 minutes. Once dried, you can wipe it off.
- You can also use a glass cleaner to get fingerprints off a stainless steel refrigerator.
Can You Use Turtle Wax On Stainless Steel?
Turtle Wax is liquid car wax and is entirely safe to use on stainless steel. Experts recommend using car wax to remove fingerprints from stainless steel appliances because it is much more effective than surface cleaners.
Also, the process is simple. Besides, Turtle Wax can make the surface smudge-proof, which will resist further fingerprints from showing.
- Pour the liquid wax on a microfiber cloth.
- Then, apply a thin layer to the stainless steel appliance.
- Once dried, you can use a soft towel to buff clean the surface of the appliance.
Can You Use Windex On Stainless Steel?
Windex is an efficient glass cleaner for removing fingerprints from stainless steel. But, the presence of ammonia in it can damage the surface of the appliance. So, we do not recommend using Windex on stainless steel.
But, some people might opt for ammonia-free Windex, which can be safe to some extent.
The application process is the same as regular glass cleaners. But, make sure you don’t spray it directly on the steel surface. Instead, spraying it first on a microfiber cloth and then rubbing it in the direction of the grains is better.
Can You Use Car Wax On Stainless Steel Sinks?
Yes! You can use car wax on stainless steel sinks to clean them and restore the shine.
Besides being the best option to clean a car, car waxes have also proved their efficiency in the kitchen.
Here is the simple process you can follow for cleaning stainless steel sinks using car wax.
- First, clean the stainless steel sink using a spray cleaner and dry it thoroughly.
- Then, pour a few drops of the liquid car wax on a microfiber cloth.
- Use this cloth to apply a thin layer to the sink. Don’t forget to rub the base, faucet, and handles too!
- You can also pour more car wax on the cloth if needed.
- Then, you can leave it to dry. After a few minutes, you’ll see a cloudy texture.
- Now, take a clean towel and wipe off the car wax layer from the sink.
Is It Safe To Use Car Wax On Stainless Steel Appliances?
Yes! Using car wax on stainless steel appliances is safe.
Many people prefer using car wax because several glass cleaners contain harmful chemicals, which damage the stainless steel surface over time.
So, car wax is a flexible alternative.
Fingerprints left on the stainless steel appliances can be a nightmare, especially if you have to clean them regularly. So, we have discussed some of the easiest and inexpensive methods to keep fingerprints off stainless steel.
Our tips can help remove the fingerprints and make the surface smudge-proof to make your cleaning tasks a lot easier!